Friday 11 September 2009

Free Enchants and Herb Bags

As I was standing in Stormwind, taking care of my own business I saw someone advertising in trade that he gave away free enchanting scrolls at the bank, I decided to check it out and he gave me a few scrolls, not very good ones, most from the 300-350 range I think, about 10 of them.

When I asked him why he had given them away he said that they were just leveling enchants and thus worthless. I told him that all those scrolls were worth about 200g together, he said that if they were greatly overpriced (that would be the regular market value according to auctioneer).

We got into a small discussion about the value of selling lots of cheap stuff compared to selling a few expensive stuff. None of this would have been really important and I wouldn't really have mentioned it in this post if it wasn't for the thing he did next, he linked me a Mycah's Botanical Bag and told me he could sell it for 230g.

I challenge you to guess what I did next! If you guessed I bought it from him to resell it again later, then you guessed wrong. If you on the other hand guessed that I checked the mat prices for this bag and saw if it would be profitable selling it, then you are completly correct. I did a quick search and guess what I saw, the mats were selling for about 130g per bag, that means a 100g profit per bag :O I bought the mats for 2 bags and found myself a tailor who could make the bag (the pattern requires sporregar revered) and had them made.

I put them up on the AH for 30g less than my generous friend (who also happened to be the only poster) and now I'm waiting for them to sell. So I can thank this guy not only because he gave me scrolls worth a few hundred gold but he also showed me a potential new market, I'm also gonna check the netherweave bags market to see if I could have the tailor who made me the herb bags make me a few.

So what's the moral of the story? Well there are two:
1. Never tell another player how you make your gold, especially not if this player shows even a slight amount of intelligence.
2. Ethics have no place on the auction house, if it profits you, do it.

5 comments:

  1. I know on my server there are often people selling stacks of netherweave cloth for 4~6g, and its not unusual for bags to sell for 12g-15g (occasionally they drop to 9g).

    My biggest problem is getting enough netherweave, I can sell 10-20 bags a day easily.

    Definitely worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, the netherweave is worth less than the bags, I also got a guy to craft me 13 bags for 10g :D, someone should tell him about opportunity cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the only one selling Mycah's herb bags on my server- once in a while, someone comes in to see if they can make a go of it, I undercut, repost, etc to make it tough for them to make a go of it, they usually don't stick around. If they want to play hardball, I drive the price down, and buy all they make at the low prices. I picked up tons of cheap primal waters back when the first rush of DK's was levelling, and have been slowly burning through it, as there isn't a great supply on my server.

    It's only one of my markets, but it's low maintenance, I usually sell about 4-10 per week.

    And I NEVER tell people how I make gold (in game), and grin when I hear guildies bemoaning how "inscription never makes any gold".

    ReplyDelete
  4. All my guildies know I control the glyph market. They also know me well enough to not even try to get into that market.

    One guildie thought he could keep up with me. He was telling me that I was not that bad to be in the market with. He then mentioned that the other two scribes were the real fighters and made it impossible for him. Then I told him those guys were also mine and we had a good laugh over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic, I have the same thing, I need 3 alts to keep track of the glyphs.

    I don't know if I'm dominating the glyph market on my server, but I do keep tabs on my competition by inspecting their wealth stats tabs when I encounter them in the AH, and I seem to be making more than most of them :)

    ReplyDelete